A great morning, really!

This morning I read a quote on-line by Elder Richard G. Scott. It talked about recieving guidance from the Holy Ghost and how there is a spiritual law that you not only get inspiration from the Holy Ghost, but you also get the strength and power needed to accomplish the prompting. That is why, he said, that Nephi was able to say, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded for...save he shall prepare a way for them to accomplish the thing which he hath commanded them."
Also this morning, Samuel was feeling sick again. It has been determined that it is not food-related, but rather something in his intestine set off by stress/anxiety. So, knowing that it was probably the stress of worrying about school, I started off by asking him what he thought he could eat. I listed off the 'BRATS' diet which has been a staple in our home for kids with sick stomachs over the years. (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast, Soupbroth) He chose soup broth. I made ichi-ban noodles with lots of broth and digestive enzymes (yum, yum!) for him and then left to drive the other kids to school. By the time I got home, I could tell that his stomach had settled. It was now time to address the real reason behind the pain.
I talked to him about this quote I had read. I explained that there are spiritual laws just like there are physical laws. I showed him my pen and asked him what would happen if I threw it into the air. Of course, we both knew that it would fall back down. The law of gravity was in force, and noone could change that, no matter how much money or power you had, that pen would fall down after you threw it up. Spiritual laws work the same way. No matter who you are, or where you are, the law is in force.
The spiritual law that we were going to talk about was the law that if you gain inspiration to do something, you will also recieve the strength and power to do it. I asked Samuel to recall the first time he went to his new school. After he and I had met with the principal and vice-principal, we walked out the door, and Samuel said to me, "Mom, the Holy Ghost told me that this is where I need to be going to school." "Yes,"he said, "I remember, but I didn't know who my teacher was going to be!"
"Well, I am sure that the Holy Ghost knew who your teacher was going to be when He gave you that prompting, don't you think?" "Yup," he finally conceeded.
I went on to explain that if going to this school was a following a prompting, then the spiritual law was that God would give him the power to do it! We went on to talk about Nephi's example of getting the plates and not knowing how he was going to do it, but having faith. We compared it to Samuel knowing he needed to go to school, but not knowing how he was going to survive it.
After all that, his morning went very well, he went off to school without a complaint and went to his class without running after me as I left the room.
What a blessing the scriptures are in our daily lives, to guide us and help us in every little detail. And how kind our Savior is, that He is concerned about problems like kids having a hard time going to school and arranges e-mails to their moms on the exact day they really need the boost. It is quite amazing isn't it?!

p.s. I looked up the quote by Elder Scott in the Nov. 2009 Ensign and this is the end part of it:
"[Nephi] knew the spiritual laws upon which inspiration and power are based. Yes, God answers prayer and gives us spiritual direction when we live obediently and exercise the required faith in Him."

Comments